Latest News

Meetings abandoned and competitions rescheduled as extreme weather takes its toll

 

Lenson Wilson will run in the rescheduled Cearnsport Springbok final next Friday

 

TRAVEL problems faced by trainers, combined with snow and freezing temperatures, continue to cause widespread disruption to fixtures at GBGB fixtures in England and Scotland.

 

Friday’s meetings at Central Park, Hove, Peterborough, Romford, Shawfield, Sheffield, Swindon, Monmore, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sunderland and Towcester have all been cancelled - although the morning fixtures at Kinsley, Harlow and Crayford did take place.

 

However, with the forecast of heavy snow later, the remainder of the Friday cards were lost, and Nottingham, Pelaw Grange, Shawfield  and Towcester have already cancelled their Saturday programmes - the Northamptonshire track due to stage both morning and evening programmes.

 

A statement from Towcester read: “Due to the current adverse weather conditions and in the interest of the welfare of our greyhounds, trainers, staff and customers, Towcester has made the decision to cancel the next three meetings.

 

“Whilst the track would have been in a raceable condition, travelling conditions for many are expected to prove hazardous. We feel an early decision would be appreciated by all. With the forecast improvement in the weather we are optimistic our Sunday meeting will go ahead.”

 

Towcester’s Saturday evening card was due to include heats of the Astute Electronics Gold Cup, and details of a new schedule will be announced in due course, although both Central Park and Romford have confirmed revised dates for their open-race competitions.

 

Central Park, who last raced on Monday, were due to stage the final of the Cearnsport Springbok this week,but have now rescheduled the decider of the novice hurdlers’ championship for Friday, March 9.

 

Romford was also due to stage both heats of the Coral Essex Vase and Coral Golden Sprint on Friday, but due to travel problems faced by open-race trainers the decision was taken to cancel the meeting, with the Coral venue releasing the following statement.

 

“In the interests of safety for the greyhounds, trainers and staff travelling to the track, this evening’s (Friday) meeting has been postponed until Monday, March 5. This is an SIS meeting - first race will be 2.12pm and an additional graded race will be added to make 14 races.”

 

The meeting will therefore includes six heats of the both the Coral Essex Vase and Coral Golden Sprint, with the semi-finals for both events remaining as scheduled on Friday night.